MailWasher Pro Quick Start Guide
Thank you for choosing MailWasher Pro. This quick start guide helps you get up and running quickly and also features some quick tips.
Alternatively, if you don't like reading - watch the 60 second video
MailWasher Pro is designed to remove spam, viruses and unwanted attachments from your email before they get to your computer. MailWasher Pro connects to your email server then retrieves and displays information about the email waiting for you. Aided by MailWasher's built-in processing tools, you can then decide what to do with each individual email - download, delete, or bounce it back to the sender.
When someone sends you an email it is first received by your Internet Service Providers email server. It is held there until you start up your email program, (eg. Outlook Express, or some other program) which then looks on this server and downloads all your email, spam or not.
What Mailwasher does is to log onto that email server and download a small text only portion of each email. This lets you look at each email and see if it is a spam or a real email. You can then choose to delete or keep the email. When you use your email program to download your email, all the spam has already been deleted.
Normally this is how you would use Mailwasher Pro with your email program,
* Open MailWasher
* Click, Check Mail,
* Mark your email for deletion or keeping,
* Click Wash Mail
* Then you open, (or Mailwasher Opens ) your email program,
* Click Send/Receive in your email program to check for new mail like normal.
Setup & Configuration
If you haven't already done so, go to
http://www.firetrust.com/download/mailwasher-pro to download
MailWasher Pro and follow the installation wizard.
The installation wizard will:
- Import your email accounts from your email program, or ask you to manually enter your email account settings if it can't find any.
- Import your contacts and add them to the MailWasher Pro friends list.
- Select your default email program, which you can change.
- Ask you to turn off automatic checking within your email program. (Otherwise it may allow unwanted email to get to your inbox)
Running MailWasher Pro
If MailWasher Pro is not already open, double click on the MailWasher Pro icon on your desktop.
- To check email, don't open your email client first. Instead, start MailWasher by double clicking on the desktop icon, or going to Start Menu » All Programs » Firetrust » MailWasher Pro.
- The MailWasher program will then start and will show you the messages you have waiting for you on the email server. You can preview the complete message content by clicking through each email.
- You will notice a Delete column, in which a trash can appears for each mail received, click each trash can to mark each email you wish to delete (if nothing is checked, the emails will simply be downloaded to your email program as normal), and then select Wash Mail.
- Note: If you watch the animated video when you first start MailWasher, it shows you how to train mailwasher and after a few times it becomes very good at recognizing spam (red color) and good email (green color). You just need to classify your email as 'spam' or 'good' a few times to begin with.
- Clicking the Wash Mail button will remove the emails you have selected for delete. Your email program will open and will either download the remaining emails or you can download them manually.
Note: If at any time you need help with using MailWasher Pro, click Help in the MailWasher Pro menu
Also take a look at the Quick Tips and Tricks page to get the most out of MailWasher.
Entering your license key
To complete the Registration process open MailWasher Pro >> click Help >> Registration >> enter your License Key in the appropriate field >> press Activate.
Upgrading to MailWasher Pro from MailWasher Pro 6.54 or earlier
MailWasher Pro works independently of older MailWasher versions (version 6.54 and earlier), so you can install and run both the old 6.x version and new version at the same time if you wish. MailWasher Pro will pick up the settings from the old MailWasher Pro, but you'll want to take a note of the following:
- You cannot use your existing license key from MailWasher Pro 6.X. Only 12 digit keys in the form ABCD-EFGH-IJKL will work with MailWasher Pro. Download the 30-day trial version from the Download link and install it.
- MailWasher Pro will not run on Windows 98, Me or 2000. It will only run on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and onwards.
- All your contacts, most settings and email account information will be imported.
- Your filters will not be imported in to MailWasher Pro. Unfortunately they will be required to be re-written because the filtering engines are very different.
- 'Process Mail' is now 'Wash Mail'
- Spam tools now use a weighted approach to recognizing spam, so instead of just one spam tool making the decision about whether an email is spam or not, all spam tools are evaluated to ensure a more accurate evaluation.
- User files are now held in a database (as opposed to text files and the Registry) with other settings such as language files for translations held as XML files, all accessible via Help>>User Files or Help>>Common Files.